# Release Notes
# v6.5.2 - 2020-09-08 Pro
- Added support for VRay 5. The minimum supported version of Vray 5 is v5.00.20. Note that VRay 4 is and will continue to be supported.
- macOS - General Metal performance and stability improvements.
- macOS - Metal improvements for handling drawing of non indexed points.
- Renderman - Resolved an issue that prevented to handle correctly cubic curves.
- Writing - Resolved a permission issue which prevented to write over NFS on Windows in network environments not managed by Window server. Now both mapped drives and UNC paths are fully supported.
- Writing - Resolved an issue that prevented to write compositions over NFS, or compositions that contained at least one assets stored on a NFS.
# v6.5.1 - 2020-08-21 Pro
- VRay - Added support for velocity render elements for motion blur in post.
- VRay - Resolved an issue with transform override does now matching between viewport and render.
- VRay - Resolved materials that were not applied as MEOW overrides (ALSurface, HairNext...)
- VRay - Resolved an issue with rendering displacement
- Licensing - Resolved an issue with the Pulsar floating license server on macOS, the relative documentation has been updated.
- Added a Multiverse on Jupyter tutorial in the new Blog section.
- Added a sample pipeline workflow in the Pipeline section.
# v6.5.0 - 2020-08-07 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
# USD Data Importer
Added support for importing USD data from a loaded Multiverse Compound. Importer functionalities are available in the MEOW interface (via RMB on a prim) and currently support polygon meshes, transforms and cameras. Imported data is fed from a Multiverse Compound preserving animation and changes to the resulting Maya objects can be written back to USD as sparse overrides. See the Importer section.
# Auto-sync Imported Data Back to USD
Sparse overrides written from imported objects can be automatically added as a new layer into the original Compound node allowing for a full data round trip from Maya/OtherDCC to USD, back to Maya and back to USD. See the Importer section.
# Redshift Support
Added support for rendering with Redshift on Windows and Linux. The minimum
supported Redshift version is
v3.0.22. Featuring complete support for all
Redshift primitives: polygons, hair, point clouds and instancing / point
instancing of any of the previous. All motion blur types are supported too:
velocity, acceleration, linear and deformation motion blur. All of the
Multiverse overriding methods for attributes and materials are supported.
# Largely improved VRay Rendering
A large number of improvements on VRay rendering are available with this version.
# Integrated Path Tracing Viewport with 3DelightNSI
Added out-of-the-box integration of the 3DelightNSI rendering library in the Multiverse Hydra NSI viewport on Windows, Linux and macOS. This offers unlimited threaded rendering, watermark-free in the Maya viewport. The library is shipped with Multiverse and no additional installation nor license of 3Delight is required (note: the library won't clash with other 3Delight libraries which may already exist or be added to the system).
Whereas an OpenGL rasterizer, such as Storm, can offer very fast playback and draw performance with certain datasets, it may also suffer due to large amount of data to draw or when the amount of VRAM is limited: this can be instead handled efficiently by a modern path tracer such as NSI, where system memory (RAM) is the only real limit.
This work is the result of a close partnership with Illumination Research Pty Ltd (the makers of 3Delight).
# Layers Muting
Added support for muting layers in a Multiverse Compound. This allows to easily inspect the result of the composition of different combination of layers and offers a friendly way to assemble layered setups with e.g. sparse overrides. Note that muted layers are excluded from being written.
# USD Asset Resolver Support
Added support for USD asset resolvers. Along with the legacy file-based
approach, Multiverse can now resolve asset paths using an USD asset resolver.
User can choose the
ArDefaultResolver plug-in or provide a custom resolver.
See the Asset Resolution section for
# Ability to Select Ancestors from Marking Menus
Added ability to select hierarchy ancestors for the currently selected item (USD prim) in the viewport via Maya Marking Menu.
# USD 20.08 Support
With version 6.5.0 of Multiverse we have updated USD libraries to version 20.08, this provides the latest and greatest USD support on all Maya versions and platforms.
Added a new documentation system which works offline in addition to be elegant
and search-able. The documentation is available online as well as distributed as a separate ZIP file.
It can be served locally using the provided Python script
# No more Temp Files when Rendering
As of this version Multiverse does not write any temporary USD file when rendering. This has been updated for all supported renderers. The related environment variables are now unnecessary.
# Pro Version Features now Available in 6.5.0
VRay - Added support for rendering with VRay GPU (introduced in v6.4.3).
Viewport - Added support for framing the currently selected item (introduced in v6.4.3).
Viewport - Added new marking menu to create a transform override on the currently selected item (introduced in v6.4.3).
# Other Changes
- VRay - Fixed an issue with
- VRay - Fixed a crash when rendering with animation (from Vray for Maya or VRay standalone).
- VRay - Fixed a crash when rendering with subdivisions.
- VRay - Added support for non-array float, int and color (normal, point,
vector) primitive variables, which can be recovered with the
vrayUser*shading utility nodes.
- VRay - Removed unwanted VRay attributes which were added on nodes that
objectSet. All of VRay attributes are now added on Maya
- Redshift - Added Redshift extension attributes on Compound nodes.
- Redshift - Improved override support for
- Redshift - Improved override support for
- Arnold - Fixed an issue with smoothing of curves.
- 3Delight - Fixed an issue with attribute overrides on root location.
- Renderman - Removed unwanted Renderman attributes which were added on nodes
that inherit from the objectSet. Renderman attributes are not added on Maya
objectSetnodes anymore, they are now added in the "Extra Attributes" section of
- mvSet - Improved the UI of
mvSetnodes for both the default behavior and for the proxy/render purpose.
- UI - Updated icons for better visibility.
- Docs - Updated docs.
- 3Delight - Added HydraNSI support to macOS
- Viewport Improved performance of texture reading in the Storm Viewport on all platforms.
# v6.5.rc3 - 2020-07-22 Pro
- USD - Updated USD library version to 20.08 on Windows and Linux. macOS scheduled for the next update / final release.
- Docs - Heavy rewriting of the documentation. This is a work in progress.
- Redshift - Fixed namespace usage with the Redshift procedural.
- Redshift - The minimum supported Redshift version is now 3.0.22.
- UI - The about Window now contains the build commit ID.
- VRay - Fixed regression with namespaced materials introduced in RC2.
- UI - Added icons for the
- Improved several icons.
HydraNSI now requires OpenGL: Core Profile (either "Strict" or "Compatibility") in the Maya display preferences. This means the OpenGL "Legacy" mode is unsupported when using HydraNSI.
# v6.5.rc2 - 2020-07-13 Pro
- Python API - Add return values to
ImportPrim()and update docs.
- Redshift - Improved
MultiverseForMaya.modfile to find procedural automatically.
- Redshift - Added support for primvar user data on mesh, curve, points. Primvars can be read by user data utilities and used for shading.
- Redshift - Fixed curve width.
- Fixed and issue with running
usdviewon Windows from the shelf button.
- MEOW - Small improvements in MEOW UI.
- MEOW - Added ability to create new or assign existing Maya materials.
- VRay - Added support for material override on shading groups both at shape both at assignment level and at MEOW override level.
- VRay - Fixed override attribute for OpenSubdiv-related attributes on Maya set nodes.
- Writer - Grey-out the importer options instead of hiding them.
- VRay - More complete support for USD point instancers.
- macOS - macOS 10.15 "Catalina" as specific Metal API is required by Hydra.
- Free License - Avoid outputting some unnecessary HTTP response messages.
- Free License - Fixed an issue with cloud response that could have produced crashes.
# v6.5.rc1 - 2020-07-03 Pro
- NSI - Added option to control curves smoothness in Multiverse Compound node
- Python API - The Multiverse plug-in is no longer automatically loaded when
multiversemodule is imported. A new
multiverse.LoadPlugin()function has been added to the module to explicitly load the Multiverse plug-in.
- Shell scripts - Improved shell scripts to setup Multiverse environment.
- Installer - Added a flat-style ZIP distribution for Windows (only available) for the Pro Version of Multiverse.
- macOS - The minimum version of macOS supported is now 10.15 (Catalina).
- Clip files - Fixed issue with missing target primitive in generated clip files.
- Arnold - Fixed crash when loading Arnold plug-in.
- Arnold - Fixed issue with rendering Compounds created before loading the Arnold plug-in.
- NSI, Arnold - Fixed issue with rendering smooth curves.
- VRay - Fixed conflict between
vrayUserAttributesand custom attributes.
- VRay - Fixed issue with Cryptomatte.
- VRay - Fixed issue with rendering Compounds with multiple layers.
# v6.4.3 - 2020-06-09 Pro
VRay - Added support for rendering with VRay GPU.
Note that the minimum supported VRay version is 4.30.01.
Viewport - Added support for framing the currently selected item (USD prim) in one of the following ways:
- Hotkey: If not already registered,
CTRL+ALT+Fwill be automatically registered on Windows and Linux while
COMMAND+Fwill be registered on macOS.
Note that a different key can be mapped from the Maya Hotkey Editor:
Windows->Settings/Preferences->Hotkey Editor> Custom Script> Multiverse
- Marking menu:
RMB > Frame Selected Item
- Shelf: Frame shelf Icon (new icon has been added to the shelf).
- Hotkey: If not already registered,
Viewport - Added new marking menu to create a transform override on the currently selected item.
- Alembic - Update asset read UI to avoid fetching metadata when reading Alembic caches.
- macOS - Updated USD on macOS for better support of Metal acceleration.
- Viewport - Reorganized RMB marking menu to fit the new options.
- Improved scripts to set-up the Multiverse environment for macOS/Linux (terminal) and Windows (cmd).
- Overrides - Fixed issue with assigning a transform override to a location with pre-existing transform override. The existing transform override is now correctly replace by the new one.
- Reader - Fixed issue where the incorrect folder was displayed when double clicking on a Multiverse Compound asset path in the layers widget for assets using relative paths.
# v6.4.2 - 2020-05-29 Pro
- Writer - Resolved a Windows issue which prevented composition made with with files referenced from different devices / drives to be written successfully.
- Writer - Fixed an issue where USDZ files were prevented to be written as part of a compositions.
- VRay - Fixed an issue with normals always rendered per face when subdivision surfaces are off.
- Arnold - Resolved a crash caused by rendering empty Multiverse Compound with Arnold.
- 3Delight - Fixed an issue causing shifts in UV coordinates.
- Free License - Fixed an issue where uninformative text was printed when requesting a free license.
- Licensing - Better warning messages for the Pro Version licensing when licenses are not found.
- Windows Installer - Circumvented an issue with Maya installer causing the
Autodesk Sharedfolder not to be created on Windows when an user did not install Maya with either Arnold or Bifrost. The Multiverse installer now takes care of creating this folder (which is used by the
MultiverseForMaya.modfile) and guaranteeing the Multiverse plug-in is visible in the Maya plug-in manager even if Arnold and Bifrost are not installed.
- Build - Package file names now contain the git short commit id, it is printed to console when the MultiverseForMaya plug-in is loaded.
# v6.4.1 - 2020-05-14 Free Pro
VRay, Renderman - Added
mvSetnamespace functionality to RenderMan and VRay plug-ins to be on par with 3Delight and Arnold. This effectively allows to create multi-renderer setups in Multiverse leveraging on namespace for switching shading networks. As a result you can switch lookdev from any renderer to any another renderer with 1-click.
- Better Windows command prompt script to set up environment variables.
The script has been renamed from
- Better Linux command prompt script to set up environment variables.
The script has been renamed from
- Viewport, Linux - The Material Preview viewport mode now works as expected.
- Arnold - Resolved a regression with subdivision overrides.
- Renderman - Resolved an issue that prevented re-rendering due to and “invalid object handle”.
- Renderman - Fixed a platform-related issue in the Renderman
- Renderman - The environment is now initialized correctly by the Windows installer.
- VRay - The environment is now initialized correctly by the Windows installer.
- Removed variable re-declaration warnings.
# PYTHON API
- Fixed leading double slash returned by
- Several documentation updates.
# v6.4.0 - 2020-05-11 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
# Renderman Integration
Added complete integration of Pixar Renderman with full support of rendering
of USD files containing polymeshes, subdivision surfaces (including creasing),
points, curves. Support for all types of motion blur (3D transformation and
deformation, velocity-based, acceleration-based), overrides for materials,
attributes, transforms, visibility. Support for all rendering modes such as
Preview, IPR, Batch and Command line
.rib. Scene expansion is executed
procedurally, with minimal rendering time to first pixel (TTFP). Renderman 23 is
required (and 23.2 is recommended).
# VRay Integration
Added complete integration of Chaos Group VRay with full support of
rendering of USD files containing polymeshes, subdivision surfaces (including
creasing), points, curves. Support for all types of motion blur (3D
transformation and deformation, velocity-based, acceleration-based), overrides
for materials, attributes, transforms, visibility, Support for all rendering
modes such as Preview, IPR, Batch and Command line
.vrscene. Scene expansion
is executed procedurally, with minimal time to first pixel (TTFP). VRay 4 is
required (v4.30.01 is required).
- USD - Updated USD library version to 20.05.
- Updated - Alembic library version to 1.7.10.
- Viewport - Added new "Preview Materials" viewport mode. This option is present on the shelf, on the Read UI, on Compounds attribute editor and on marking menus.
- Viewport, macOS - Large improvements in performance and drawing using the Metal API.
- Writer - Added support for writing Maya curves to USD (
strokesnodes). The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated. Note that reading and rendering curves was already supported.
- Writer - Added support for writing Maya particles to USD (
nParticlesnodes). The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated. Note that reading and rendering points was already supported.
- Writer - Added basic support for writing Maya lights to USD. The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated.
- Writer - Added support for writing RGB color sets. They can be accessed and rendered with each renderer’s "primvar" reader shader. The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated.
- Writer - Added support for writing multiple UV sets.
- Rendering - Added support for rendering subdivision creases with Arnold.
- Writer - Output path and write time are now printed to the script editor when writing USD assets and compositions.
- Reader - Read time is now printed to the script editor when loading USD files.
- Added information about USD version in the Info window, which is accessible from the shelf.
# PYTHON API
- Added new
skel.``AssignSkeletonAnimation()function to assign skeleton animation to skeleton locations.
- Added new
GetUsdMetadatafunction to retrieve metadata from USD files.
SelectPrimitives()now prevents from selecting non-existing locations.
- Viewport - Display colors are now used as fallback for display when Preview Materials are not present.
- Viewport, macOS - Added support for drawing meshes with varying topology.
- Writer - References to external textures are now collected and included in the target archive when writing compositions to USDZ.
- Rendering Improved velocity/acceleration motion blur with Arnold. Now all renderers behave the same when doing velocity/acceleration motion blur.
- Rendering Several improvements with cryptomatte in Arnold (fully working in object mode and providing consistent behavior with instances).
- macOS Reduced output verbosity.
- Names of files generated by Multiverse for rendering now include milliseconds in their timestamp string to prevent clashes.
- Added icons for lights in MEOW tree graph and help window.
- Added new
MV_RENDER_FILES_PATHenvironment variable to control the location of files generated by Multiverse during render. The new
MV_TMP_DIRwill still work as a fallback.
mvUsdCompoundShapenodes were erroneously added to newly created
mvSetnodes, if selected.
- Viewport Fixed issue with pick-selecting instances of Compound nodes.
- Viewport, macOS - Resolved issue with drawing multiple compounds at the same time.
- Rendering Resolved issue with recovering color set with the Primitive Attribute node in the NSI procedural.
- Rendering Resolved regression with recovering the displayColor primvar in Arnold via aiUserDataColor.
- Rendering Resolved an issue with different number of motion keys in vertex/normal arrays in the Arnold procedural.
- Writer - Resolved issue with Stingray PBS base color attribute not be correctly handled when writing preview materials.
- Writer - Resolved issue with missing namespaces when writing USD composition made of multiple instanced of Multiverse Compounds.
- Writer - Resolved issue with wrong number of scale attribute values being generated when writing point instancers.
- Writer - Resolved crash when writing point instancers when the instanced objects were included in the exported hierarchy.
- Writer - Resolved issue with the Inherits Transform attribute not being correctly handled.
# 3D ASSETS
- Updated J Cube Esper Room USD asset to v3, now including cameras, lights and preview materials on the Maneki asset in the bathtub.
- Updated J Cube Maneki USD and USDZ assets to v2, now including animated turntable camera and improved display color / preview materials.
- Updated installation documentation for all platforms.
- Updated Licensing the Free Version in light of the new, simplified and decoupled download & register logic introduced on the website.
- New Rendering Attributes section.
- Added notes on Rendering with Renderman.
- Added notes on Rendering with VRay.
- Updated many documentation pages.
# v6.3.1 - 2020-04-09 Pro
# USD SKELETON WORKFLOW FOR MOCAP & CROWDS
Added support for "binding" USD skeleton animation to compatible USD skinned
static assets in an artist-friendly manner, directly from MEOW: simply select
source of animation and apply it to the target skeleton. Skeleton animation USD
data can come from 3rd party Mo-Cap applications such as
Vicon Shogun, or can be generated with
Multiverse, for example by loading FBX data from
Mixamo in Maya and Multiverse Write as USD data. The
resulting USD compositions can be exchanged with
Houdini Solaris for crowd workflows, as well as written
to USDZ to preview in macOS and IOS, facilitating preview work in production.
The Multiverse Python API also provides a new
skel utility module to
facilitate these tasks. See the relative docs: Multiverse USD Skeleton Workflow.
- Python API — Added new
skelutility module and relative online documentation: Multiverse Python API.
- Write Asset - Added support for writing multiple UV sets.
- Write Asset —Added support for writing (multiple) color sets.
- macOS - As of this version the macOS build of Multiverse is fully notarized. This means users on macOS 10.14.5+ and 10.15+ can use Multiverse without the need to disable SIP (which is set on by default on any macOS machine).
- Viewport - Added new HUD to display which Hydra renderer is currently used
for rendering in the Maya viewport. It can be turned on/off via the menu:
Display> Heads Up Display> Multiverse Hydra Renderer.
- USDZ - Preserve textures referenced in compound nodes when writing
- macOS - Improved library loading, this also resolves an issue when working
- macOS - Resolved issue with
libGLEWon macOS which was linking to a local development path rather than using a proper rpath.
- Resolved issue with Arnold not being able to read the
displayColorprimvar via aiUserDataColor shader.
- Resolved issue with merge shape/xform option when writing cameras.
- Resolved issue with writing meshes with time-varying topology.
- Python API - Fixed incorrect separator used in
- Write Asset - Fixed issue with missing shader connection in preview material.
- Write Asset - Fixed issue with writing UVs on skinned mesh.
- Added missing
usdzextension in write composition dialog filter (albeit it was already possible to write USDZ compositions if the user typed the
- Licensing - Multiverse Pro license server, “Pulsar”, now offers better feedback information for the installed floating license keys, their validity & expiration.
- Licensing_- Pro Version - Pulsar can now scan a directory via the
-kcommad-line option so to collect all floating license
.txtkeys in that folder.
# v6.3.0 - 2020-03-17 Free Pro
:: warning Heads Up In case you are installing Multiverse 6.3.0 over the same folder (rather than using the more proper approach of versioned folder names), please wipe your previous installation of Multiverse 6.2.x before installing 6.3.0. :::
- Writer Added support for writing to USD animated “skinned” meshes with
multiple skin clusters.
Multiverse can also individually write the following:
- Skin weights for poly meshes
- Joint hierarchies
- Skeleton animation
- Writer - Added support for writing USD Preview Materials from
StingrayPBSmaterials assigned directly to Maya shapes or through Maya’s
hardwareShaderattribute (this is a message attribute which is available on any Maya material and depending on the renderer it is either visible, hidden or can be manually added).
- Writer - Added support for writing (animated) cameras.
- Licensing - Added new dialog to notify users in case license acquisition fails.
- Distribution - The USD library distributed with Multiverse can now co-exist
with other USD libraries from third-party Maya plug-ins, this avoids
any potential conflicts:
- The USD dynamic library is now named
- The USD Python modules exist now under the
Please update your Python scripts to use
mvpxr. Also, make sure, in case you are installing Multiverse 6.3.0 in the same folder as your previous version, to wipe the previous version folder contents or you will end up with both the old
pxrand the new
mvpxrpython module root folder. In general we recommend to version your installation folders.
- The USD dynamic library is now named
- Added new icons for skeleton, animation and lights in MEOW.
- Started adding UI tooltips to the Asset Write UI.
- Arnold - Resolved issue with mismatching playback time (e.g. written cache 24 fps, Maya’s setting at 25 fps).
- USDZ - When writing a USDZ file a default gray USD Preview Material will be instanced, this prevents “pink” USDZ rendering which is caused by lack of material assignment.
- USDZ - Resolved issue with writing compositions to USDZ files.
- Distribution - Removed unnecessary binary utils from the package.
- Distribution - Fixed a dependency with Maya’s TBB: as a result Multiverse is now completely independent from Maya’s TBB.
- Distribution - Fixed an issue with macOS builds looking for non-relative
path GLEW library which could have caused
usdViewto not launch depending on the user environment.
- Added Write Display Color to USD
- Added Write Preview Materials to USD
- API Docs - Updates in the Multiverse Python API.
# v6.2.3 - 2020-03-03 Pro
- The location of Multiverse temporary files can now be controlled by setting
- Writer - Temporary override files are not written when no overrides are defined.
- Arnold - Resolved an issue with smoothing attribute for mesh node in Arnold procedural.
- Arnold - Resolved an issue with ray visibility attributes in Arnold procedural.
- Arnold - Resolved an issue with override attributes in Arnold procedural.
- Resolved an issue with
RemoveNodeOverrides()API in Maya 2020.
- 3Delight - Resolved an issue with poly as subd attribute in NSI procedural not respecting the overriding order: Multiverse node ← (overridden by) USD asset ← (overridden by) MEOW.
- Resolved an issue with material assignment being unnecessarily written in compositions.
- Added a documentation section for Environment Variables.
# v6.2.2 - 2020-02-21 Free Pro
- Writer - Added support for writing renderer-specific attributes for both NSI and Arnold.
- Writer - Added support to write Pref (Position Reference).
- Writer - Added support for writing timecode information in animated overrides.
- MEOW - Added description for icons in the help “?” window.
- mvSet - Find a new enable/disable option that makes writing the material
namespace optional in overrides.
Note: Make sure to set this to ON in pre-existing scenes with a namespace string or materials will not be found.
- Better selection behavior with VP draw modes for selected Compounds.
- Show materials assigned to Multiverse Compounds as related nodes in the Attribute Editor Tabs.
- Arnold - Added support for overriding the Arnold smoothing, doublesided and opposite attributes on meshes.
- [Writer] - Better handling of selection when writing overrides.
- Resolved an issue with overrides order evaluation that prevented written attribute at root level to take precedence on the attributes set on the node (coming from Arnold or NSI extension attributes). Now you can write out overrides at root level and they will supersede attributes on the Compound nodes. The order of evaluation is, from weakest to strongest: attribute on node ← attribute on written override layer (topmost wins in case of multiple layers) ← attribute set on MEOW (but not yet written).
- When materials overrides are not found because they are not present in the scene, Arnold will now fall back to the next parent override found in MEOW (same behavior as with NSI).
- Resolved an issue that prevented to correctly display animated Compounds, if cached playback was active (Maya 2019 and 2020).
- Resolved an issue that prevented MEOW to work correctly when assigning SG nodes with no materials connected: dangling SG are now skipped.
- Resolved a crash in NSI when rendering curves with motion blur - which resulted in crash when rendering the Esper Room scene carpet.
- Small docs updates.
# v6.2.1 - 2020-02-14 Free Pro
- Added new help window (“?”) in MEOW.
- Added support for displaying the content of USD override files in MEOW.
- Resolved an Arnold crash due to bad/undefined UVs in some objects of the popular USD “kitchen” scene.
- Resolved an issue with ghost objects in the Esper Room.
- Removed some unnecessary warnings about overrides in the console.
- Updated the Known Issues documentation.
# v6.2.0 - 2020-02-13 Free Pro
- A new Display Color attribute is now available on the Multiverse section of Shading Group. This color information will be used for display purposes in the Hydra Storm and NSI viewports. Documentation has been updated.
- Marking Menu options to switch the selected asset viewport draw mode are now available on RMB in the viewport.
- Several documentation updates.
- The Arnold procedural has been largely improved. Now it completely supports
.aiattributes, support for point/curve scaling, velocity, acceleration, attribute/shading overrides, ability to read primitive variables from USD via aiUserData nodes, motion blur, re-timing and change of time while in running IPR and improved Arnold 6 support.
- A carpet made of curves has been added to the J Cube “Esper” scene.
- Resolved an issue with Maya 2019 and 2020 cached playback causing continuous updates in the viewport and when rendering in IPR with Arnold.
- Resolved a regression with the Arnold procedural which prevented material assignment with namespaced materials.
- Resolved a crash when writing point instancing from MASH/instancer with a namespaced source.
- Resolved issue with inconsistent behavior when loading USD assets with visibility attribute.
- Resolved issue with incorrect results returned by the API functions to query item visibility.
- Resolved issue with UV texture coordinates when writing USDZ assets.
- The merge transform and shape option is now respected when writing instances of a mvUsdCompoundShape node.
- The merge transform and shape option has been removed from the Multiverse Write USD Asset UI. It is still available when using the Multiverse Python API.
usdViewstarts correctly also on Windows.
- Compositions written on Windows are now readable on Linux/macOS
- Resolved a crash with Arnold when non-Arnold materials were assigned to Compound Shapes via DAG assignment or overrides.
- Resolved a crash with Arnold and undefined UV coordinates.
- Fixed the Windows Shell.bat script.
- API - Fixed an exception in
HasAttributeOverrideAPI call when no overrides existed.
- Docs - Revised several sections of the documentation. Also added a Known Issues section.
- The J Cube “Esper” scene was not working on Linux/macOS, it has now been fixed and updated to v002. Find it at: https://j-cube.jp/solutions/multiverse/assets/
# v6.1.0 - 2020-02-03 Free Pro
- Added support for writing specific Maya attributes as sparse overrides from the Write USD Asset UI.
- Ability to use Multiverse Compounds (static/animated, assets or compositions) as sources for MASH instancing.
# PYTHON API
- Updated API PDF documentation.
- Largely improved instancing and point instancing performance with Arnold.
- Added static/animated Maya visibility support when writing.
- Display color is now on by default when writing.
- Better UI icons in MEOW for visibility in display vs render.
- Now Arnold can render assets with “bad UVs”.
- Several Documentation updates.
# v6.0.0 - 2020-01-27 Free Pro
# INTRODUCING MULTIVERSE | USD
With Version 6 we introduce an easy to use, production-ready, native USD solution for Autodesk Maya with both Free and Pro version available.
Multiverse enables anyone to instantly & non-destructively author, playback, layout, look-dev, light and render large 3D data sets and to inter-op with USD-ready DCC apps such as Houdini / Solaris. Everything is interactively streamed to Hydra-based viewports and to final frame renderers, in procedural and parallel fashion.
Powered by a new end-to-end multi-threaded architecture, from scene construction to final rendering. Designed with a strong emphasis on delivering an easy and logical workflow to artists and real-world users under tight work deadlines and budgets. Featuring UI and UX that are clear, well thought and pleasant. Ready for deployment in production environments of any scale, with a new Python API that is straightforward to use and integrate, abstracting the complexity of the USD APIs.
- Completely new, end-to-end, massively multi-threaded architecture which delivers up to 100x* faster performance in authoring, reading, drawing, manipulating, playback and rendering time-to-first-pixel.
- Fully compliant with USD
v20.02+available upon customer demand).
- Non-destructive authoring workflow for layout, lookdev, layering and composition.
- Unified rendering workflow: easily work with multiple rendering engines while keeping exactly the same artist workflow.
- Ability to easily author USD hierarchies for assets and compositions, straight from the Maya outliner.
- Write USD assets, compositions and overrides with support for USD variants and proxies.
- Read USD and Alembic files, whether static or animated, as a single file or as a sequence via USD clips, with ability to easily generate clips.
- Complete read/write support of USD point instancing. Maya duplicate as instance, instancer, particle instancer and MASH. Houdini packed/point instancing and duplicates.
- Ability to explore and override USD assets with a pleasing, logical and extremely fast UI.
- Selectively override transforms with full animation support, including parents and hierarchical inheritance.
- Selectively override materials, generic & render attributes, visibility and variant selection with complete hierarchical inheritance.
- Realtime high-FPS playback and manipulation streamed to the viewport with OpenGL (Win/Linux) and Metal (macOS), using multiple visualization modes.
- Interactive path tracing streamed to the viewport with 3Delight, soon to be added for other capable renderers.
- Procedural rendering streamed to Arnold and 3Delight (including 3Delight Cloud), with other renderers coming soon.
- Velocity, acceleration, linear, curved and deformation 3D motion blur.
- Inter-op between Autodesk® Maya® and other USD-ready DCC applications, in particular with SideFX®Houdini / Solaris.
- Generate 3D USDZ assets for Augmented Reality (AR) in iOS and macOS with full lookdev and animation support.
- Pipeline automation with the new, easy to use, Multiverse Python API.
- Built around native USD core data and API. Fully compliant with USD
v20.02+available upon customer demand).
- End-to-end multi-threaded architecture where data is always read, drawn, constructed, processed and rendered in highly multi-threaded fashion.
- Non-destructive workflow for layout, lookdev, layering and composition.
- API - New Multiverse Python API with extensive documentation & examples. The Multiverse plug-in is automatically loaded when importing the API module.
- The Maya shelf has been redesigned to present all the new functionalities.
- Write USD Asset / AR Asset with time-varying support.
- Write USD Composition / AR Asset with time-varying support.
- Write USD Overrides with time-varying support.
- Ability to automatically sync written overrides in a compound.
- Full writing/reading support for USD point instancing as well as instancing
- ability to read any type of Houdini / Solaris instancing: USD point instancing, packed instancing, duplicates
- ability to write/read any type of Maya instancing: USD point instancing from MASH, instancer and particle instancer and instancing, duplicates, point instancing.
- Full USD instancing support and regular instancing support in the procedurals.
- Read USD Asset / Composition / Override / AR Asset
- Added support for reading of file-per-frame sequences via USD Clips. This includes ability to generate USD clips from sequences of USD or Alembic data.
mvUsdCompoundShapenode (“Multiverse Compound”) able to read USD and Alembic.
Note - Alembic is now read through the USD API.
- Proxy Viewport mode leveraging on USD Proxies.
- Flat Shaded Viewport mode.
- Storm Hydra Render Delegate optimized for high speed thumbling and playback (high performance OpenGL GPU rasterizer with draw consolidation).
- 3Delight NSI Hydra Render Delegate optimized for very large assets that won't fit GPU memory (high performance path tracing engine).
- Added a new node called
mvSet(or “Multiverse Set”) for global attribute assignments, render-specific attribute assignment, USD proxies, USD collections.
- Intuitive and high performance GUI dubbed “MEOW” - short for Multiverse
Explore & Override Window. It is built with a new architecture able to display
very complex tree graphs of items (with potentially hundred of thousands of
items) and override selectively and with inheritance:
- Transformations - New system to override transformations via locator transform nodes at the exact location and with support fro foster parent node. Additionally override transformations can be animated at please and written as USD overrides.
- Materials - ability to override materials via shading group engine nodes and also write them as USD overrides.
- Attributes - ability to override attributes via
objectSetnodes and also write them as USD overrides.
- Variants - ability to select USD variants and also write such selection as USD overrides.
- Full support of Rendering Vs Viewport visibility: items can be invisible in the viewport but visible at render-time.
- Ability to send a Multiverse compound to the external
usdviewapplication for inspection.
- NSI procedural will translate any attribute present in USD or Alembic.
- Entirely rewritten all documentation.
- Multiverse Info button that displays version information.
- Completely new 3Delight NSI rendering procedural for native USD data (including Alembic). Supports, curves, points, mesh, data (and thanks to NSI any of these can be a light too).
- Completely new Arnold rendering procedural for native USD data (including Alembic). curves, points, mesh, and mesh_light data.
- Added acceleration motion blur support for 3Delight NSI on mesh, point and curve data.
- Unified rendering workflow that allows for easily switch between rendering engines while keeping the same artist workflow.
- Added support for Maya 2020.
- Added support for Arnold 18.104.22.168+.
- Added inter-op support with Houdini 18 and Solaris.
- The macOS build now uses the Metal API instead of OpenGL for viewport rendering. This is currently a beta implementation.
- Added Maya 2020 support.
- Completely rewritten documentation, example, guidelines.
- Introducing the new Free Version which is fully functional and allows for commercial use. The only restriction being that it requires an alive internet connection.
- cloud-based licensing system to validate the free version.
- added support for material namespace in the
- rendering procedurals automatically translate any USD primitive variables in USD files.
- Ability to rewrite an asset while being loaded in the same session of the application.
- Ability to display the shading network for the selected material in MEOW via RMB. Double-click will instead show the material in the Attribute Editor.
- Ability to add Compounds while in NSI IPR (Arnold was already able to).
- Added RMB command in Compound to open a USD asset in a file browser (on any platform).
- Largely improved writing of USDZ AR Assets with support for opacity, compositions, subdivisions and animated transformations.
- Added option to strip namespaces when writing.
- Largely improved the look and content when popping an item info window via MMB in MEOW.
- Writing assets can now be done at the current selection in the hierarchy and optionally include ancestors.
- Added a completely new set of icons for the shelf.
- Shelf viewport modes will apply to all compounds if no compound is selected.
- Added new 3Delight and Arnold shaders to the MEOW via RMB. Also added Maya 2020 standardSurface for the Maya 2020 plugin.
- Ability to create & assign new materials, or assign existing for overrides, directly from MEOW via RMB.
- Removed the old MLO (Multiverse Look Outliner). Its functionalities are superseded by the new MEOW (Multiverse Explore & Override Window).
- Removed support for Maya 2016 and 2017. The minimum Maya version is now 2018.
- Retired the Hyperspace API which was used up until Multiverse v5. Note that Alembic is now read directly through the USD API.
mvCompoundShapenode has been removed. The new
mvUsdCompoundShapenode has taken its place.
mvShadingSetnode as been removed.
- Retired the “Indie Version” which is now superseded by the “Free Version”.
- The USD libraries use a Multiverse namespace.
- Largely optimized the size and content of the build on all platforms.