# Release Notes
# v6.7.3 - 2021-07-26 Free Pro
- VRay - Improved procedural rendering to accept also assets with invalid topology when UV indexes are out of range.
- Asset Writer - Resolved an issue when writing Maya particle instancers nodes (e.g. the ones used in MASH) which were animated. Incidentally parent constraints that pointed to an animated instancers were also affected by this, and consequentially they are now also working as expected.
- Renderman - Resolved an issue with instance prototypes not being correctly chosen by point instancers.
- Renderman - Renderman 24 is now officially supported.
- Distribution - The USD executables in the
binfolder are now correctly tagged with the
+xpermission on Linux and macOS.
- Online License - Fixed an issue causing an unsupported response from the cloud which could cause a crash (Free Version only).
- License server - Fixed a display issue with the reporting of used licenses in the Pulsar floating license server (Pro Version only).
- License server - Now Pulsar is able to show hostname with IP address.
# v6.7.2 - 2021-06-08 Pro
- License server - Fixed an issue with the Pulsar floating license server (Pro Version only).
# v6.7.1 - 2021-06-07 Pro
- License server - Fixed an issue with the Pulsar floating license server (Pro Version only).
# v6.7.0 - 2021-06-07 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
# USD Purposes
Complete Purpose support: this includes the ability to choose whether to read
guide purpose both from the Multiverse Reader UI
(selection can be made before actually reading the data) and also from on the
Multiverse Compound shape node (meaning: after having read the data). Purpose is
now orthogonal to the viewport modes, this separation allows to selectively see
purposes in any view mode. In addition the
mvSet node options have been
extended to support tagging geometry with the guide purpose for writing assets,
in addition to render and proxy. Finally, MEOW now uses useful visual cues to
indicate purpose on primitives.
# USD Blend Shapes
It is now possible to write assets which use the Maya
blendShape deformer as
USD blend shapes. Multiple shape targets and in-between shapes are supported,
data can be also written with skeleton animation and skin weights. In addition,
USD blend shapes are present in the MEOW tree, as well as in the viewport (if
# Compositions with Auto-Saved-Overrides
Added support for writing pending (unwritten) overrides when writing compositions: file names are generated automatically using the Compound shape name and the write timestamp. This allows users to read multiple Compounds, set Overrides and with a single Write Composition operation take care also of automatically saving the pending overrides, thus facilitating consolidation of large scenes.
# Viewport Preferences
Added the new Multiverse preferences window (see new icon in Shelf), currently supporting several options to control the Hydra Storm viewport and customize the look and shading of Compounds and selected items.
# NURBS writing
Added support for writing
nurbsCurve nodes to the Asset Writer. NURBS curves
are typically used to guide curve grooming of fur & hair in Maya ⇆ Houdini
# USD Frames per second metadata writing
Added option to all writers to specify a frame per seconds (also known as "timecodes per second") option, defaulted to 24.
# Python API
Added API options relative to the new features:
- All Writers - Added option
framesPerSecond(scalar, defaults to 24.0)
- Asset Write - Added option
writeBlendShapes(boolean, defaults to False)
- Composition Write - added option
writePendingOverrides(boolean, defaults to False)
- Asset Write - Added ability to write hardware shader (USD preview surface) as overrides.
- Asset Write - Skeleton schema is not written anymore to USD when writing sparse override if the joints option is disabled.
- Redshift - Largely improved some internals which now result in much faster time to initialize and finalize rendering. Speed-up of up to 30x have been measured on scenes with many compounds.
- VRay - Largely improved some internals which now result in much faster time to initialize and finalize rendering. Speed-up of up to 30x have been measured on scenes with many compounds.
- 3Delight - Added support for overriding the visibility to shadow rays.
- Redshift - Increased the mininum version of the Redshift renderer to v3.0.45.
- Viewport - Resolved drawing issue in the bbox/bboxes mode which did not update when using transform overrides.
- Removed from shelf the viewport proxy mode, now purpose and draw modes are orthogonal to viewport draw modes. See “USD purposes” above in the changelog.
# PRO LICENSING
The Multiverse PRO version license server (“Pulsar”) has been updated. It is backwards compatible with clients running previous version of Multiverse (e.g: v6.6.x), however, if you wish to run v6.7.x on your clients you MUST then update the license server to also use v6.7.x.
Major improvements to the floating license server "Pulsar", including several bug fixes in the Linux version, much lower CPU utilization (now almost insignificant), ability to log stats to the console via a new environment variable
MV_LICENSE_LOG=1that traces license checking and other minor improvements.
A new Studio License has been introduced: up to 999 interactive + 999 render floating licenses at a predictable and fixed yearly cost, a perfect solution for medium and large studios that scale and don't want to worry with license numbers, see http://multi-verse.io/buy (opens new window) If you need more than 999 interactive and 999 render licenses please contact email@example.com
# FREE LICENSING
The Multiverse FREE version has been updated to use a new cloud infrastructure. Any users of the FREE version is required to update to v6.7 by July 7, 2021. Earlier FREE versions (e.g: v6.6.0. or lower) will not be able to acquire a cloud license after this date.
Major improvements to the cloud license server, now using a scalable system able to checkout hundreds of thousands of licenses worldwide and concurrently.
As of this version, max 1 FREE license is allowed per network. If you need to use multiple concurrent licenses within the same network the PRO version is required.
# v6.6.10 - 2021-04-30 Pro
- Overrides - Resolved issue with active state / visibility overrides not being correctly updated.
- 3Delight - Resolved issue with rendering instances and nested instances.
- 3Delight - Resolved issue with translating point instancers.
- 3Delight - Resolved issue with attribute inheritance on point instancers.
- VRay - Resolved issue with rendering point instancers.
# v6.6.9 - 2021-03-31 Pro
- Asset Write - Added ability to ignore specific node types when writing assets via Python API.
- Python API - Added support for syncing selection made via API with MEOW.
- Arnold - Added support for Arnold 6.2 / MtoA 4.2.
- Asset Write - Instances of Multiverse Compounds are now written as instanceable references instead of internal references.
- Viewport - The proxy viewport mode is now always flat shaded.
- Asset Write - The "Inherit Transforms" flag on Maya transform nodes was not respected correctly when writing Assets.
- Python API - Added the
booltype to the API function that creates USD attributes.
- Overrides Resolved an issue with transform overrides set on items with the same name but belonging to different parents.
- Arnold - Resolved an issue with Arnold library linking in the Multiverse for
Maya 2018 on Linux (before this version using
- 3Delight - Resolved an issue with the visibility flags not correctly handled for instances.
- 3Delight - Resolved an issue with the
resetXformStackflag not being respected.
- 3Delight - Resolved an issue when rendering assets with instances in batch mode.
- 3Delight - Resolved an issue with the custom USD color attributes not being rendered correctly with a primitive attribute reader.
- Redshift - Resolved issues with material assignment on objects with the same name.
- Redshift - Resolved an issue caused by override path being too long.
# v6.6.8 - 2021-02-19 Pro
- Overrides - Resolved an issue with
RemovePrimitiveOverridebreaking overrides on "invalid items".
- Overrides - Resolved an issue which was failing to create and override for a parent on a hierarchy containing overrides with the same name in their descendants.
- Python API - Resolved an issue with instances not being returned from
GetChildrenForPathfunction which is useful to traverse hierarchies.
- Redshift - Resolved an issue with assignment of the same material overrides onto multiple items of the same Compound.
- Redshift - Resolved an issue with assignment of materials with shared shading network nodes to multiple parts of the same Compound.
- Redshift - Resolved a crash with specific Alembic caches.
- Redshift - Resolved an issue with material override not updating correctly.
- Redshift - Resolved an issue with instances rendered in wrong position.
# v6.6.7 - 2021-01-29 Pro
- Attributes - Added support for
primvarson point instancers. So, for example, a color primvar on a point instancer prim can be retried by a primvar reader for rendering purposes.
- Attributes - Added support for writing custom USD attributes of type
- Overrides - Added a Maya attribute to Multiverse Compound nodes which allows
to preserve invalid item overrides when the user reads different assets with
incompatible hierarchy structure / primitive name but still wants to preserve
the overrides. Note that the attribute is hidden from the UI and can be set
false). When set to
trueoverrides will be preserved. Invalid overrides can be removed with the
- Redshift - Resolved an issue with instances not rendering.
- Overrides - Resolved an issue with (animated) visibility overrides not correctly updating in the viewport.
# v6.6.6 - 2021-01-13 Pro
- 3Delight: added support for
dlSetray visibilities at the Compound node level as well as for attribute overrides on specific primitive paths.
- Changed the
texcoord2f. This grants a matching compatibility with Houdini and is also future-proof with upcoming versions of USD were
texcoord2fis the recommended choice.
- Python API: Better error reporting with the
RemoveTransformOverridePython API when a primitive path doesn't exist.
mvSetnodes to be deleted when a connected compound is deleted.
- Resolved an issue with viewport visibility overrides incorrectly affecting the display of the render visibility icon in MEOW.
- Now using the full DAG path path in
CreateTransformOverride, this potentially prevents hierarchy clashes.
- Resolved an issue with overrides not updating when their attributes were deleted from the attribute editor.
- Arnold: Resolved issue with incorrect UV mapping rendering in both USD and ABC files coming from Houdini.
- Vray: Resolved issue with missing UVs and with USD files coming from Houdini (ABC was working already).
- Redshift: Resolved issue with missing UVs for both USD and ABC files coming from Houdini.
# MUSE - Alpha 2 - 2021-01-04 Pro
# Layer Editor
The new "Layer Editor" allows to add layers to the stage, effectively "composing" them. Layers can be muted, un-muted, removed, and reordered by moving them up/down. Note that, as per Usd convention, upper layers always override lower layers. Every modification to the stage is held in the current session layer which is always at the top of the layers stack. Composed layers can be written as Compositions, with the option of writing them as references or as sub-layers.
# Stage Editing
It is now possible to non-destructively edit the USD stage by adding new primitive children ("prims") in the Hierarchy Editor. Newly added prims are created at the selected point in the hierarchy and are colored in green, they can also be renamed and removed. USD references can be associated to newly added primitives. All operation are done via RMB.
# Add Attributes
It is now possible to add new USD attributes on any primitive in the
"Attribute Editor". Currently the following types are supported:
string and each new attribute can be marked as "primvar".
New buttons are available to add new attributes, remove added ones, and reset
edited ones to their default values.
# macOS version (using Metal)
As of this version MUSE is also distributed for macOS. It uses the Apple Metal graphics API to draw on the viewport via the Hydra Storm delegate. MUSE is packaged as a single-file macOS ".app" and can be simply used in-situ or moved on your desired drive location.
Important note for macOS Users
This version of MUSE is not yet "notarized" on macOS and will only run if you RMB on the app and select "open" which will prompt a dialog allowing you to bypass the gatekeeper. Alternatively you can disable macOS' System Integrity Protection (SIP).
# Material Display
Added support for enabling/disabling USD preview materials (if present in the stage) in the viewport.
# Distribution (all OS)
The distribution on each OS has been made location independent and several unnecessary files were removed. Run-scripts are also been removed for all platforms.
MUSE will pop-up a licensing UI dialog when run the first time, you can use this
dialog to input the license server in the format
IPAddress@Port. Once the
license server is found MUSE will check a Multiverse Pro license at the start
and release it immediately. Once validated, license information will be stored
in a per-user configuration file.
# UI Improvements
- Reworked File menu terminology to be in sync with Multiverse read/write logic.
- A root primitive is always displayed in the hierarchy editor.
- Added link to the Documentation in the Help menu.
- Added support for changing the viewport background color from the View menu.
- The about dialog now displays Muse version along with the short git commit id (sha-1).
- Improved the behavior of prim filtering in the Hierarchy Editor.
- Added a checkbox in the Write Current Session to reload the override file just written as a new layer.
- Fixed crash when quickly selecting many items in complex hierarchies.
- Fixed issue with camera position not being preserved when edited the stage.
- Fixed issue with expansion state not being preserved in the Hierarchy Editor.
- Fixed crash with double-clicking to expand in the Hierarchy Editor.
- Fixed crash on context menu activation.
- Fixed crash when double clicking on empty area of the Hierarchy Editor.
# v6.6.5 - 2020-12-14 Pro
- VRay: added support for displacement in VRay. Both the classic Maya displacement node connected on the shadingEngine and the VRay displacement node are supported.
- USD Clips: improved generation of USD clips, clip files are now easier to
read and edit. Note that file-per-frame sequences now require file names with
strict frame padding between dots, such as
my_sim_frame.0042.ext(where ext is .usd/.usdc or .abc).
- VRay: suppressed some warnings on set selections
- 3DelightNSI: removed an unnecessary string containing material names which was unnecessary.
- VRay: the blackhole surfaceShader material option now works as expected punching a black hole in the alpha.
- VRay: visibilities controld on vray object attributes in mvSet are now supported (and override visibilities on Render Stats in the Multiverse Compound).
- All Procedurals: Fixed issue with leaf primitive being incorrectly rendered even if their "active state" override was marked as inactive. activated are rendered, while .
- USD Clips: fixed a regression which prevented reading of alembic file-per-frame sequences in usd clips.
- Pro Licensing: fixed the Windows distribution to include
libeay32.dllin the Multiverse
binfolder rather than in the lib folder (this affected only the Windows platform).
- Python API: Fixed
CreateTransformOverridewhen adding overrides on same path on different objects.
- PythonAPI: Fixed
AddUsdAttributeToNodewhen multiple compounds with the same name exist in the scene.
- Asset Writer: Fixed an issue when writing "stepped" animated assets which was producing wrong transformations.
# v6.6.4 - 2020-11-30 Pro
- MEOW: Added support for activating/deactivating items in a Compound as a override action. The "active state" can be written as an override by the Write USD Override UI and by the API (deactivated items are removed from the stage, form the viewport and from rendering).
- Python API: Added API function to control active state of items.
- Python API: Added write flag that allows users to specify a custom export root path that will be prepended on the written asset.
- VRay: Added support for integer user attributes (compatible with both VRay 5 and 4).
- Reader: Fixed issue with loading assets with filename starting with a number.
- Redshift: Fixed issue with procedural data not being correctly cached.
- VRay: Fixed evaluation for primitive variable attribute values.
- VRay: Fixed issue with UV interpolation on subdiv meshes.
- Licensing: Fixed issue that prevented the
Pulsard.exeprogram to find all necessary libraries on the Windows platform.
# v6.6.3 - 2020-11-13 Pro
- Arnold: Added support for Arnold 126.96.36.199 / MtoA 6.0.1 on all platforms.
- MEOW: Added a RMB option to inspect a material override without selecting it, this prevents clearing the MEOW UI while editing material attributes.
- Python API: Added new function to query existing USD attribute names.
- UI: Selection wireframe color of Multiverse Compounds is a bit less intense and produces a more pleasant look. Likewise for "wireframe on shaded".
- Writer: Fixed issue with incorrect bind transform for leaf joints which prevented correct writing of usdSkel deformations in some circumstances.
- Writer: Fixed an issue with exporting animated overrides.
- NSI: Fixed a 'set property' warning on USD root location.
- NSI: Fixed an issue with interpolation of per-point primvars.
- Arnold: Fixed issue with varying colors on points.
- Viewport: Fixed display of "wireframe on shaded" draw modes.
- Compound: Fixed issue with overrides being lost when adding new layers.
# v6.6.2 - 2020-10-29 Pro
- Reader: Show an info message in the Read UI to inform the user when a usd sequence clip has an empty time range.
- Python API: Added a new function to add Usd attributes to any node.
- Docs: Misc docs improvement, and added the above API function to docs.
- UI: Resolved a Maya 2020+ Windows-only issue with reopening the MEOW window after it has been detached and closed.
- Reader: Fixed issue with value of Use Relative Paths option not being preserved across multiple reads and on a new Maya session.
# v6.6.1 - 2020-10-23 Pro
- Viewport: Improved selection in viewport when Maya shapes and Multiverse compounds are overlapping / stacking.
- MEOW: Added support for displaying relationships in details window.
- MEOW: Added support for hiding/showing multiple items at once.
- Writer: Updated to avoid setting prim type when writing sparse overrides.
- Writer: Add support for handling displayColor as special case of custom USD attribute.
- Writer: Updated to only consider positions for curves when writing sparse overrides.
- UI: Misc improvements in Compound AE Template.
- Writer: Fixed issue with writing meshes with custom USD attributes.
- Writer: Fixed issue with writing override for skeletons.
- Writer: Fixed crash on writing when skeleton root was contained in a group.
- Writer: Fixed issue with skinned meshes not being correctly written if the bound skeleton was not also written.
- NSI: Fixed issue with overrides not correctly handled in IPR.
- API: Fixed typos in API doc strings.
- Docs: Misc improvements.
# v6.6.0 - 2020-10-09 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
Introducing a novel, comprehensive and production-ready, support for USD Variants in Maya. This allows users to easily and efficiently author, edit, write, select, override and render both hierarchy-based & attribute-based variations (with support for animated attributes), whether originating from Maya data or from USD data encapsulated in Multiverse Compounds.
Variant in Multiverse allow users to easily and interactively switch models/hierarchies as well as attributes/primvars, which can be queried for shading variations at render-time or for other pipeline needs. Multiverse offers complete rendering agnostic workflow enabling users to create conditional logic in shading networks by querying primvars and dynamically switch any property of the asset's look.
Variants management can be performed via the UI or via the Multiverse Python
API, for which a new
variants module has been introduced.
Variants allow more streamlined pipeline workflow because information about variations is completely self-contained in USD files without the need of storing such information inside Maya nodes (such as locators, transforms etc.) This grants for better flexibility within the same DCC in different stages of the pipeline and also easier interchange with other DCCs.
Refer to the new Variants documentation for details:
- Authoring Variants
- Query Attribute Variants in Shading Networks
- Python API: Variants
- Variants Video (opens new window)
# Custom Attributes
Introducing custom attributes writing for both Maya-typed and USD-typed attributes with full support for animation.
Custom attributes can be written both from Maya data (supported
mesh/curves/point shape nodes and transform nodes) and from USD data
encapsulated in Multiverse Compounds via Attribute Overrides in MEOW (
node). Custom attributes can be added both from the UI and from the Multiverse
Custom attributes writing is controlled by new options in the Asset Writer UI: Maya-typed ones are explicitly listed with a comma-separated list of names, while writing of USD typed attributes is enabled/disabled using a flag.
Refer to the new Custom Attributes documentation for details:
# MUSE (Alpha)
Introducing "MUSE", JCube's new "Multiverse Usd Standalone Editor". MUSE allows users to open, interactively visualize, playback, any USD asset and composition without the need for a DCC application. The aim of MUSE is to provide a fast and non-destructive multi-editing of attributes in a USD file, adding references to other USD files, write USD overrides and write USD compositions with overrides.
MUSE is currently in Alpha and is provided exclusively to clients of the Multiverse Pro Version as a "Tech Preview", it will briefly check for the presence of a license server but won't consume Multiverse licenses.
To know more about the present and future of MUSE we have prepared a small FAQ.
# Compound Consolidation
It is now possible to consolidate all layers in a Multiverse Compound with one click from the Compound UI: the consolidated composition will be written and re-loaded automatically, if the sync option is active.
# Subdiv Creases
Multiverse now automatically recognizes subdivision creases on Maya meshes and writes assets accordingly. Subdivision surfaces with vertex and edge creases can then rendered by the available procedurals.
# Remove Material Override
Introducing the action of "removing a material assignment" as an override: in MEOW you can now assign a Null material as an override which will effectively remove a pre-existing material assignment in a non-destructive way as it can be written as a USD override.
# Composition Write with Time Settings
When writing compositions the following time setting in USD are now recognized: time offset and speed multiplier.
# Asset Write with Flatten Parent Transforms
The Asset Write UI now allows to flatten parent transformations at the current
selection (know in Alembic as the
# Other New Changes, Fixes and Improvements
- Asset Write: fixed to always write extent when writing points.
- Asset write: a warning is now shown when selection contains multiple roots.
- Asset Write: added sparse writing for curves.
- Asset Write: avoid writing samples for non-animated attributes.
- Asset Write: fixed issue with unknown node types preventing to write sparse overrides.
- Reader: added a warning when "no default primitive" is set in the USD file.
- Reader: added information about default primitive in the USD file.
- Reader: improved clip-generation to generate a manifest file for the topology.
- Reader: large clips can now be read safely.
- Compound UI: when opening layers from a Compound, the same file browser dialog and options as the Multiverse reader is used.
- UI: improved UI in mvSet, added options for custom USD attributes writing.
- macOS: fixed an issue with usdSkel skinning not being applies in some circumstances in the viewport.
- macOS: several Metal API improvements.
- MEOW: added description for the new icons in the help window.
- MEOW: new menu action to show the "item info" window (which can also be summoned via MMB-click).
- MEOW: improved the positioning of the "item info" so to always fit with the screen.
- MEOW: resolved issue with incomplete creation of outbound connections from shadingEngine nodes.
- All Renderers: fixed issue with usdSkel skinning not applied on render.
- Arnold: fixed a crash with curve rendering when driven by usdSkel deformations.
- Arnold: fixed an issue with transform overrides not being honored.
- Arnold: fixed issue with wrong orientation in point instancers.
- Asset Write: add support for
offsetParentMatrixin transform nodes (Maya 2020+).
- NSI: added support for reading UVs for curves.
- NSI: fixed issue with translation of xform for SkelRoot primitives.
- NSI: fixed issue with wrong orientation in point instancer.
- Redshift: fixed an issue with transform overrides not being honored.
- RMan: fixed issue with wrong orientation in point instancer.
- VRay: added support for matte attributes.
- VRay: curves now can render with per-primitive UV information.
- VRay: fixed an issue which prevented the correct distribution of both the v4 and v5 procedural.
- Python API: added a function to refresh MEOW panel.
- Python API: added a new function to query USD items by path.
- Python API: added functions to query xform/material/attribute overrides.
# v6.5.2 - 2020-09-08 Pro
- Added support for VRay 5. The minimum supported version of Vray 5 is v5.00.20. Note that VRay 4 is and will continue to be supported.
- macOS: General Metal performance and stability improvements.
- macOS: Metal improvements for handling drawing of non indexed points.
- Renderman: Resolved an issue that prevented to handle correctly cubic curves.
- Writing: Resolved a permission issue which prevented to write over NFS on Windows in network environments not managed by Window server. Now both mapped drives and UNC paths are fully supported.
- Writing: Resolved an issue that prevented to write compositions over NFS, or compositions that contained at least one assets stored on a NFS.
# v6.5.1 - 2020-08-21 Pro
- VRay: Added support for velocity render elements for motion blur in post.
- VRay: Resolved an issue with transform override does now matching between viewport and render.
- VRay: Resolved materials that were not applied as MEOW overrides (ALSurface, HairNext...)
- VRay: Resolved an issue with rendering displacement
- Licensing: Resolved an issue with the Pulsar floating license server on macOS, the relative documentation has been updated.
- Added a Multiverse on Jupyter tutorial in the new Blog section.
- Added a sample pipeline workflow in the Pipeline section.
# v6.5.0 - 2020-08-07 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
# USD Data Importer
Added support for importing USD data from a loaded Multiverse Compound. Importer functionalities are available in the MEOW interface (via RMB on a prim) and currently support polygon meshes, transforms and cameras. Imported data is fed from a Multiverse Compound preserving animation and changes to the resulting Maya objects can be written back to USD as sparse overrides. See the Importer section.
# Auto-sync Imported Data Back to USD
Sparse overrides written from imported objects can be automatically added as a new layer into the original Compound node allowing for a full data round trip from Maya/OtherDCC to USD, back to Maya and back to USD. See the Importer section.
# Redshift Support
Added support for rendering with Redshift on Windows and Linux. The minimum
supported Redshift version is
v3.0.22. Featuring complete support for all
Redshift primitives: polygons, hair, point clouds and instancing / point
instancing of any of the previous. All motion blur types are supported too:
velocity, acceleration, linear and deformation motion blur. All of the
Multiverse overriding methods for attributes and materials are supported.
# Largely improved VRay Rendering
A large number of improvements on VRay rendering are available with this version.
# Integrated Path Tracing Viewport with 3DelightNSI
Added out-of-the-box integration of the 3DelightNSI rendering library in the Multiverse Hydra NSI viewport on Windows, Linux and macOS. This offers unlimited threaded rendering, watermark-free in the Maya viewport. The library is shipped with Multiverse and no additional installation nor license of 3Delight is required (note: the library won't clash with other 3Delight libraries which may already exist or be added to the system).
Whereas an OpenGL rasterizer, such as Storm, can offer very fast playback and draw performance with certain datasets, it may also suffer due to large amount of data to draw or when the amount of VRAM is limited: this can be instead handled efficiently by a modern path tracer such as NSI, where system memory (RAM) is the only real limit.
This work is the result of a close partnership with Illumination Research Pty Ltd (the makers of 3Delight (opens new window)).
# Layers Muting
Added support for muting layers in a Multiverse Compound. This allows to easily inspect the result of the composition of different combination of layers and offers a friendly way to assemble layered setups with e.g. sparse overrides. Note that muted layers are excluded from being written.
# USD Asset Resolver Support
Added support for USD asset resolvers. Along with the legacy file-based
approach, Multiverse can now resolve asset paths using an USD asset resolver.
User can choose the
ArDefaultResolver plug-in or provide a custom resolver.
See the Asset Resolution section for
# Ability to Select Ancestors from Marking Menus
Added ability to select hierarchy ancestors for the currently selected item (USD prim) in the viewport via Maya Marking Menu.
# USD 20.08 Support
With version 6.5.0 of Multiverse we have updated USD libraries to version 20.08, this provides the latest and greatest USD support on all Maya versions and platforms.
Added a new documentation system which works offline in addition to be elegant
and search-able. The documentation is available online (opens new window) as well as distributed as a separate ZIP file.
It can be served locally using the provided Python script
# No more Temp Files when Rendering
As of this version Multiverse does not write any temporary USD file when rendering. This has been updated for all supported renderers. The related environment variables are now unnecessary.
# Pro Version Features now Available in 6.5.0
VRay: Added support for rendering with VRay GPU (introduced in v6.4.3).
Viewport: Added support for framing the currently selected item (introduced in v6.4.3).
Viewport: Added new marking menu to create a transform override on the currently selected item (introduced in v6.4.3).
# Other Changes
- VRay: Fixed an issue with
- VRay: Fixed a crash when rendering with animation (from Vray for Maya or VRay standalone).
- VRay: Fixed a crash when rendering with subdivisions.
- VRay: Added support for non-array float, int and color (normal, point,
vector) primitive variables, which can be recovered with the
vrayUser*shading utility nodes.
- VRay: Removed unwanted VRay attributes which were added on nodes that
objectSet. All of VRay attributes are now added on Maya
- Redshift: Added Redshift extension attributes on Compound nodes.
- Redshift: Improved override support for
- Redshift: Improved override support for
- Arnold: Fixed an issue with smoothing of curves.
- 3Delight: Fixed an issue with attribute overrides on root location.
- Renderman: Removed unwanted Renderman attributes which were added on nodes
that inherit from the objectSet. Renderman attributes are not added on Maya
objectSetnodes anymore, they are now added in the "Extra Attributes" section of
- mvSet: Improved the UI of
mvSetnodes for both the default behavior and for the proxy/render purpose.
- UI: Updated icons for better visibility.
- Docs: Updated docs.
- 3Delight: Added HydraNSI support to macOS
- Viewport Improved performance of texture reading in the Storm Viewport on all platforms.
# v6.5.rc3 - 2020-07-22 Pro
- USD: Updated USD library version to 20.08 on Windows and Linux. macOS scheduled for the next update / final release.
- Docs: Heavy rewriting of the documentation. This is a work in progress.
- Redshift: Fixed namespace usage with the Redshift procedural.
- Redshift: The minimum supported Redshift version is now 3.0.22.
- UI: The about Window now contains the build commit ID.
- VRay: Fixed regression with namespaced materials introduced in RC2.
- UI: Added icons for the
- Improved several icons.
HydraNSI now requires OpenGL: Core Profile (either "Strict" or "Compatibility") in the Maya display preferences. This means the OpenGL "Legacy" mode is unsupported when using HydraNSI.
# v6.5.rc2 - 2020-07-13 Pro
- Python API: Add return values to
ImportPrim()and update docs.
- Redshift: Improved
MultiverseForMaya.modfile to find procedural automatically.
- Redshift: Added support for primvar user data on mesh, curve, points. Primvars can be read by user data utilities and used for shading.
- Redshift: Fixed curve width.
- Fixed and issue with running
usdviewon Windows from the shelf button.
- MEOW: Small improvements in MEOW UI.
- MEOW: Added ability to create new or assign existing Maya materials.
- VRay: Added support for material override on shading groups both at shape both at assignment level and at MEOW override level.
- VRay: Fixed override attribute for OpenSubdiv-related attributes on Maya set nodes.
- Writer - Grey-out the importer options instead of hiding them.
- VRay: More complete support for USD point instancers.
- macOS: macOS 10.15 "Catalina" as specific Metal API is required by Hydra.
- Free License: Avoid outputting some unnecessary HTTP response messages.
- Free License: Fixed an issue with cloud response that could have produced crashes.
# v6.5.rc1 - 2020-07-03 Pro
- NSI: Added option to control curves smoothness in Multiverse Compound node
- Python API: The Multiverse plug-in is no longer automatically loaded when
multiversemodule is imported. A new
multiverse.LoadPlugin()function has been added to the module to explicitly load the Multiverse plug-in.
- Shell scripts: Improved shell scripts to setup Multiverse environment.
- Installer: Added a flat-style ZIP distribution for Windows (only available) for the Pro Version of Multiverse.
- macOS: The minimum version of macOS supported is now 10.15 (Catalina).
- Clip files: Fixed issue with missing target primitive in generated clip files.
- Arnold: Fixed crash when loading Arnold plug-in.
- Arnold: Fixed issue with rendering Compounds created before loading the Arnold plug-in.
- NSI, Arnold: Fixed issue with rendering smooth curves.
- VRay: Fixed conflict between
vrayUserAttributesand custom attributes.
- VRay: Fixed issue with Cryptomatte.
- VRay: Fixed issue with rendering Compounds with multiple layers.
# v6.4.3 - 2020-06-09 Pro
VRay: Added support for rendering with VRay GPU.
Note that the minimum supported VRay version is 4.30.01.
Viewport: Added support for framing the currently selected item (USD prim) in one of the following ways:
- Hotkey: If not already registered,
CTRL+ALT+Fwill be automatically registered on Windows and Linux while
COMMAND+Fwill be registered on macOS.
Note that a different key can be mapped from the Maya Hotkey Editor:
Windows->Settings/Preferences->Hotkey Editor> Custom Script> Multiverse
- Marking menu:
RMB > Frame Selected Item
- Shelf: Frame shelf Icon (new icon has been added to the shelf).
- Hotkey: If not already registered,
Viewport: Added new marking menu to create a transform override on the currently selected item.
- Alembic: Update asset read UI to avoid fetching metadata when reading Alembic caches.
- macOS: Updated USD on macOS for better support of Metal acceleration.
- Viewport: Reorganized RMB marking menu to fit the new options.
- Improved scripts to set-up the Multiverse environment for macOS/Linux (terminal) and Windows (cmd).
- Overrides: Fixed issue with assigning a transform override to a location with pre-existing transform override. The existing transform override is now correctly replace by the new one.
- Reader: Fixed issue where the incorrect folder was displayed when double clicking on a Multiverse Compound asset path in the layers widget for assets using relative paths.
# v6.4.2 - 2020-05-29 Pro
- Writer: Resolved a Windows issue which prevented composition made with with files referenced from different devices / drives to be written successfully.
- Writer: Fixed an issue where USDZ files were prevented to be written as part of a compositions.
- VRay: Fixed an issue with normals always rendered per face when subdivision surfaces are off.
- Arnold: Resolved a crash caused by rendering empty Multiverse Compound with Arnold.
- 3Delight: Fixed an issue causing shifts in UV coordinates.
- Free License: Fixed an issue where uninformative text was printed when requesting a free license.
- Licensing: Better warning messages for the Pro Version licensing when licenses are not found.
- Windows Installer: Circumvented an issue with Maya installer causing the
Autodesk Sharedfolder not to be created on Windows when an user did not install Maya with either Arnold or Bifrost. The Multiverse installer now takes care of creating this folder (which is used by the
MultiverseForMaya.modfile) and guaranteeing the Multiverse plug-in is visible in the Maya plug-in manager even if Arnold and Bifrost are not installed.
- Build: Package file names now contain the git short commit id, it is printed to console when the MultiverseForMaya plug-in is loaded.
# v6.4.1 - 2020-05-14 Free Pro
VRay, Renderman: Added
mvSetnamespace functionality to RenderMan and VRay plug-ins to be on par with 3Delight and Arnold. This effectively allows to create multi-renderer setups in Multiverse leveraging on namespace for switching shading networks. As a result you can switch lookdev from any renderer to any another renderer with 1-click.
- Better Windows command prompt script to set up environment variables.
The script has been renamed from
- Better Linux command prompt script to set up environment variables.
The script has been renamed from
- Viewport, Linux: The Material Preview viewport mode now works as expected.
- Arnold: Resolved a regression with subdivision overrides.
- Renderman: Resolved an issue that prevented re-rendering due to and “invalid object handle”.
- Renderman: Fixed a platform-related issue in the Renderman
- Renderman: The environment is now initialized correctly by the Windows installer.
- VRay: The environment is now initialized correctly by the Windows installer.
- Removed variable re-declaration warnings.
# PYTHON API
- Fixed leading double slash returned by
- Several documentation updates.
# v6.4.0 - 2020-05-11 Free Pro
# NEW FEATURES
# Renderman Integration
Added complete integration of Pixar Renderman with full support of rendering
of USD files containing polymeshes, subdivision surfaces (including creasing),
points, curves. Support for all types of motion blur (3D transformation and
deformation, velocity-based, acceleration-based), overrides for materials,
attributes, transforms, visibility. Support for all rendering modes such as
Preview, IPR, Batch and Command line
.rib. Scene expansion is executed
procedurally, with minimal rendering time to first pixel (TTFP). Renderman 23 is
required (and 23.2 is recommended).
# VRay Integration
Added complete integration of Chaos Group VRay with full support of
rendering of USD files containing polymeshes, subdivision surfaces (including
creasing), points, curves. Support for all types of motion blur (3D
transformation and deformation, velocity-based, acceleration-based), overrides
for materials, attributes, transforms, visibility, Support for all rendering
modes such as Preview, IPR, Batch and Command line
.vrscene. Scene expansion
is executed procedurally, with minimal time to first pixel (TTFP). VRay 4 is
required (v4.30.01 is required).
- USD: Updated USD library version to 20.05.
- Updated: Alembic library version to 1.7.10.
- Viewport: Added new "Preview Materials" viewport mode. This option is present on the shelf, on the Read UI, on Compounds attribute editor and on marking menus.
- Viewport, macOS: Large improvements in performance and drawing using the Metal API.
- Writer: Added support for writing Maya curves to USD (
strokesnodes). The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated. Note that reading and rendering curves was already supported.
- Writer: Added support for writing Maya particles to USD (
nParticlesnodes). The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated. Note that reading and rendering points was already supported.
- Writer: Added basic support for writing Maya lights to USD. The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated.
- Writer: Added support for writing RGB color sets. They can be accessed and rendered with each renderer’s "primvar" reader shader. The Multiverse Write Asset UI has been updated.
- Writer: Added support for writing multiple UV sets.
- Rendering: Added support for rendering subdivision creases with Arnold.
- Writer: Output path and write time are now printed to the script editor when writing USD assets and compositions.
- Reader: Read time is now printed to the script editor when loading USD files.
- Added information about USD version in the Info window, which is accessible from the shelf.
# PYTHON API
- Added new
skel.``AssignSkeletonAnimation()function to assign skeleton animation to skeleton locations.
- Added new
GetUsdMetadatafunction to retrieve metadata from USD files.
SelectPrimitives()now prevents from selecting non-existing locations.
- Viewport: Display colors are now used as fallback for display when Preview Materials are not present.
- Viewport, macOS: Added support for drawing meshes with varying topology.
- Writer: References to external textures are now collected and included in the target archive when writing compositions to USDZ.
- Rendering Improved velocity/acceleration motion blur with Arnold. Now all renderers behave the same when doing velocity/acceleration motion blur.
- Rendering Several improvements with cryptomatte in Arnold (fully working in object mode and providing consistent behavior with instances).
- macOS Reduced output verbosity.
- Names of files generated by Multiverse for rendering now include milliseconds in their timestamp string to prevent clashes.
- Added icons for lights in MEOW tree graph and help window.
- Added new
MV_RENDER_FILES_PATHenvironment variable to control the location of files generated by Multiverse during render. The new
MV_TMP_DIRwill still work as a fallback.
mvUsdCompoundShapenodes were erroneously added to newly created
mvSetnodes, if selected.
- Viewport Fixed issue with pick-selecting instances of Compound nodes.
- Viewport, macOS: Resolved issue with drawing multiple compounds at the same time.
- Rendering Resolved issue with recovering color set with the Primitive Attribute node in the NSI procedural.
- Rendering Resolved regression with recovering the displayColor primvar in Arnold via aiUserDataColor.
- Rendering Resolved an issue with different number of motion keys in vertex/normal arrays in the Arnold procedural.
- Writer: Resolved issue with Stingray PBS base color attribute not be correctly handled when writing preview materials.
- Writer: Resolved issue with missing namespaces when writing USD composition made of multiple instanced of Multiverse Compounds.
- Writer: Resolved issue with wrong number of scale attribute values being generated when writing point instancers.
- Writer: Resolved crash when writing point instancers when the instanced objects were included in the exported hierarchy.
- Writer: Resolved issue with the Inherits Transform attribute not being correctly handled.
# 3D ASSETS
- Updated J Cube Esper Room (opens new window) USD asset to v3, now including cameras, lights and preview materials on the Maneki asset in the bathtub.
- Updated J Cube Maneki (opens new window) USD and USDZ assets to v2, now including animated turntable camera and improved display color / preview materials.
- Updated installation documentation for all platforms.
- Updated Licensing the Free Version in light of the new, simplified and decoupled download & register logic introduced on the website (opens new window).
- New Rendering Attributes section.
- Added notes on Rendering with Renderman.
- Added notes on Rendering with VRay.
- Updated many documentation pages.
# v6.3.1 - 2020-04-09 Pro
# USD SKELETON WORKFLOW FOR MOCAP & CROWDS
Added support for "binding" USD skeleton animation to compatible USD skinned
static assets in an artist-friendly manner, directly from MEOW: simply select
source of animation and apply it to the target skeleton. Skeleton animation USD
data can come from 3rd party Mo-Cap applications such as
Vicon Shogun (opens new window), or can be generated with
Multiverse, for example by loading FBX data from
Mixamo (opens new window) in Maya and Multiverse Write as USD data. The
resulting USD compositions can be exchanged with
Houdini Solaris (opens new window) for crowd workflows, as well as written
to USDZ to preview in macOS and IOS, facilitating preview work in production.
The Multiverse Python API also provides a new
skel utility module to
facilitate these tasks. See the relative docs: Multiverse USD Skeleton Workflow.
- Python API — Added new
skelutility module and relative online documentation: Multiverse Python API.
- Write Asset: Added support for writing multiple UV sets.
- Write Asset —Added support for writing (multiple) color sets.
- macOS: As of this version the macOS build of Multiverse is fully notarized. This means users on macOS 10.14.5+ and 10.15+ can use Multiverse without the need to disable SIP (which is set on by default on any macOS machine).
- Viewport: Added new HUD to display which Hydra renderer is currently used
for rendering in the Maya viewport. It can be turned on/off via the menu:
Display> Heads Up Display> Multiverse Hydra Renderer.
- USDZ: Preserve textures referenced in compound nodes when writing
- macOS: Improved library loading, this also resolves an issue when working
- macOS: Resolved issue with
libGLEWon macOS which was linking to a local development path rather than using a proper rpath.
- Resolved issue with Arnold not being able to read the
displayColorprimvar via aiUserDataColor shader.
- Resolved issue with merge shape/xform option when writing cameras.
- Resolved issue with writing meshes with time-varying topology.
- Python API: Fixed incorrect separator used in
- Write Asset: Fixed issue with missing shader connection in preview material.
- Write Asset: Fixed issue with writing UVs on skinned mesh.
- Added missing
usdzextension in write composition dialog filter (albeit it was already possible to write USDZ compositions if the user typed the
- Licensing: Multiverse Pro license server, “Pulsar”, now offers better feedback information for the installed floating license keys, their validity & expiration.
- Licensing_- Pro Version: Pulsar can now scan a directory via the
-kcommad-line option so to collect all floating license
.txtkeys in that folder.
# v6.3.0 - 2020-03-17 Free Pro
:: warning Heads Up In case you are installing Multiverse 6.3.0 over the same folder (rather than using the more proper approach of versioned folder names), please wipe your previous installation of Multiverse 6.2.x before installing 6.3.0. :::
- Writer Added support for writing to USD animated “skinned” meshes with
multiple skin clusters.
Multiverse can also individually write the following:
- Skin weights for poly meshes
- Joint hierarchies
- Skeleton animation
- Writer: Added support for writing USD Preview Materials from
StingrayPBSmaterials assigned directly to Maya shapes or through Maya’s
hardwareShaderattribute (this is a message attribute which is available on any Maya material and depending on the renderer it is either visible, hidden or can be manually added).
- Writer: Added support for writing (animated) cameras.
- Licensing: Added new dialog to notify users in case license acquisition fails.
- Distribution: The USD library distributed with Multiverse can now co-exist
with other USD libraries from third-party Maya plug-ins, this avoids
any potential conflicts:
- The USD dynamic library is now named
- The USD Python modules exist now under the
Please update your Python scripts to use
mvpxr. Also, make sure, in case you are installing Multiverse 6.3.0 in the same folder as your previous version, to wipe the previous version folder contents or you will end up with both the old
pxrand the new
mvpxrpython module root folder. In general we recommend to version your installation folders.
- The USD dynamic library is now named
- Added new icons for skeleton, animation and lights in MEOW.
- Started adding UI tooltips to the Asset Write UI.
- Arnold: Resolved issue with mismatching playback time (e.g. written cache 24 fps, Maya’s setting at 25 fps).
- USDZ: When writing a USDZ file a default gray USD Preview Material will be instanced, this prevents “pink” USDZ rendering which is caused by lack of material assignment.
- USDZ: Resolved issue with writing compositions to USDZ files.
- Distribution: Removed unnecessary binary utils from the package.
- Distribution: Fixed a dependency with Maya’s TBB: as a result Multiverse is now completely independent from Maya’s TBB.
- Distribution: Fixed an issue with macOS builds looking for non-relative
path GLEW library which could have caused
usdViewto not launch depending on the user environment.
- Added Write Display Color to USD
- Added Write Preview Materials to USD
- API Docs: Updates in the Multiverse Python API.
# v6.2.3 - 2020-03-03 Pro
- The location of Multiverse temporary files can now be controlled by setting
- Writer: Temporary override files are not written when no overrides are defined.
- Arnold: Resolved an issue with smoothing attribute for mesh node in Arnold procedural.
- Arnold: Resolved an issue with ray visibility attributes in Arnold procedural.
- Arnold: Resolved an issue with override attributes in Arnold procedural.
- Resolved an issue with
RemoveNodeOverrides()API in Maya 2020.
- 3Delight: Resolved an issue with poly as subd attribute in NSI procedural not respecting the overriding order: Multiverse node ← (overridden by) USD asset ← (overridden by) MEOW.
- Resolved an issue with material assignment being unnecessarily written in compositions.
- Added a documentation section for Environment Variables.
# v6.2.2 - 2020-02-21 Free Pro
- Writer: Added support for writing renderer-specific attributes for both NSI and Arnold.
- Writer: Added support to write Pref (Position Reference).
- Writer: Added support for writing timecode information in animated overrides.
- MEOW: Added description for icons in the help “?” window.
- mvSet: Find a new enable/disable option that makes writing the material
namespace optional in overrides.
Note: Make sure to set this to ON in pre-existing scenes with a namespace string or materials will not be found.
- Better selection behavior with VP draw modes for selected Compounds.
- Show materials assigned to Multiverse Compounds as related nodes in the Attribute Editor Tabs.
- Arnold: Added support for overriding the Arnold smoothing, doublesided and opposite attributes on meshes.
- [Writer] - Better handling of selection when writing overrides.
- Resolved an issue with overrides order evaluation that prevented written attribute at root level to take precedence on the attributes set on the node (coming from Arnold or NSI extension attributes). Now you can write out overrides at root level and they will supersede attributes on the Compound nodes. The order of evaluation is, from weakest to strongest: attribute on node ← attribute on written override layer (topmost wins in case of multiple layers) ← attribute set on MEOW (but not yet written).
- When materials overrides are not found because they are not present in the scene, Arnold will now fall back to the next parent override found in MEOW (same behavior as with NSI).
- Resolved an issue that prevented to correctly display animated Compounds, if cached playback was active (Maya 2019 and 2020).
- Resolved an issue that prevented MEOW to work correctly when assigning SG nodes with no materials connected: dangling SG are now skipped.
- Resolved a crash in NSI when rendering curves with motion blur - which resulted in crash when rendering the Esper Room scene carpet.
- Small docs updates.
# v6.2.1 - 2020-02-14 Free Pro
- Added new help window (“?”) in MEOW.
- Added support for displaying the content of USD override files in MEOW.
- Resolved an Arnold crash due to bad/undefined UVs in some objects of the popular USD “kitchen” scene.
- Resolved an issue with ghost objects in the Esper Room.
- Removed some unnecessary warnings about overrides in the console.
- Updated the Known Issues documentation.
# v6.2.0 - 2020-02-13 Free Pro
- A new Display Color attribute is now available on the Multiverse section of Shading Group. This color information will be used for display purposes in the Hydra Storm and NSI viewports. Documentation has been updated.
- Marking Menu options to switch the selected asset viewport draw mode are now available on RMB in the viewport.
- Several documentation updates.
- The Arnold procedural has been largely improved. Now it completely supports
.aiattributes, support for point/curve scaling, velocity, acceleration, attribute/shading overrides, ability to read primitive variables from USD via aiUserData nodes, motion blur, re-timing and change of time while in running IPR and improved Arnold 6 support.
- A carpet made of curves has been added to the J Cube “Esper” scene.
- Resolved an issue with Maya 2019 and 2020 cached playback causing continuous updates in the viewport and when rendering in IPR with Arnold.
- Resolved a regression with the Arnold procedural which prevented material assignment with namespaced materials.
- Resolved a crash when writing point instancing from MASH/instancer with a namespaced source.
- Resolved issue with inconsistent behavior when loading USD assets with visibility attribute.
- Resolved issue with incorrect results returned by the API functions to query item visibility.
- Resolved issue with UV texture coordinates when writing USDZ assets.
- The merge transform and shape option is now respected when writing instances of a mvUsdCompoundShape node.
- The merge transform and shape option has been removed from the Multiverse Write USD Asset UI. It is still available when using the Multiverse Python API.
usdViewstarts correctly also on Windows.
- Compositions written on Windows are now readable on Linux/macOS
- Resolved a crash with Arnold when non-Arnold materials were assigned to Compound Shapes via DAG assignment or overrides.
- Resolved a crash with Arnold and undefined UV coordinates.
- Fixed the Windows Shell.bat script.
- API: Fixed an exception in
HasAttributeOverrideAPI call when no overrides existed.
- Docs: Revised several sections of the documentation. Also added a Known Issues section.
- The J Cube “Esper” scene was not working on Linux/macOS, it has now been fixed and updated to v002. Find it at: https://j-cube.jp/solutions/multiverse/assets/
# v6.1.0 - 2020-02-03 Free Pro
- Added support for writing specific Maya attributes as sparse overrides from the Write USD Asset UI.
- Ability to use Multiverse Compounds (static/animated, assets or compositions) as sources for MASH instancing.
# PYTHON API
- Updated API PDF documentation.
- Largely improved instancing and point instancing performance with Arnold.
- Added static/animated Maya visibility support when writing.
- Display color is now on by default when writing.
- Better UI icons in MEOW for visibility in display vs render.
- Now Arnold can render assets with “bad UVs”.
- Several Documentation updates.
# v6.0.0 - 2020-01-27 Free Pro
# INTRODUCING MULTIVERSE | USD
With Version 6 we introduce an easy to use, production-ready, native USD solution for Autodesk Maya with both Free and Pro version available.
Multiverse enables anyone to instantly & non-destructively author, playback, layout, look-dev, light and render large 3D data sets and to inter-op with USD-ready DCC apps such as Houdini / Solaris. Everything is interactively streamed to Hydra-based viewports and to final frame renderers, in procedural and parallel fashion.
Powered by a new end-to-end multi-threaded architecture, from scene construction to final rendering. Designed with a strong emphasis on delivering an easy and logical workflow to artists and real-world users under tight work deadlines and budgets. Featuring UI and UX that are clear, well thought and pleasant. Ready for deployment in production environments of any scale, with a new Python API that is straightforward to use and integrate, abstracting the complexity of the USD APIs.
- Completely new, end-to-end, massively multi-threaded architecture which delivers up to 100x* faster performance in authoring, reading, drawing, manipulating, playback and rendering time-to-first-pixel.
- Fully compliant with USD
v20.02+available upon customer demand).
- Non-destructive authoring workflow for layout, lookdev, layering and composition.
- Unified rendering workflow: easily work with multiple rendering engines while keeping exactly the same artist workflow.
- Ability to easily author USD hierarchies for assets and compositions, straight from the Maya outliner.
- Write USD assets, compositions and overrides with support for USD variants and proxies.
- Read USD and Alembic files, whether static or animated, as a single file or as a sequence via USD clips, with ability to easily generate clips.
- Complete read/write support of USD point instancing. Maya duplicate as instance, instancer, particle instancer and MASH. Houdini packed/point instancing and duplicates.
- Ability to explore and override USD assets with a pleasing, logical and extremely fast UI.
- Selectively override transforms with full animation support, including parents and hierarchical inheritance.
- Selectively override materials, generic & render attributes, visibility and variant selection with complete hierarchical inheritance.
- Realtime high-FPS playback and manipulation streamed to the viewport with OpenGL (Win/Linux) and Metal (macOS), using multiple visualization modes.
- Interactive path tracing streamed to the viewport with 3Delight, soon to be added for other capable renderers.
- Procedural rendering streamed to Arnold and 3Delight (including 3Delight Cloud), with other renderers coming soon.
- Velocity, acceleration, linear, curved and deformation 3D motion blur.
- Inter-op between Autodesk® Maya® and other USD-ready DCC applications, in particular with SideFX®Houdini / Solaris.
- Generate 3D USDZ assets for Augmented Reality (AR) in iOS and macOS with full lookdev and animation support.
- Pipeline automation with the new, easy to use, Multiverse Python API.
- Built around native USD core data and API. Fully compliant with USD
v20.02+available upon customer demand).
- End-to-end multi-threaded architecture where data is always read, drawn, constructed, processed and rendered in highly multi-threaded fashion.
- Non-destructive workflow for layout, lookdev, layering and composition.
- API: New Multiverse Python API with extensive documentation & examples. The Multiverse plug-in is automatically loaded when importing the API module.
- The Maya shelf has been redesigned to present all the new functionalities.
- Write USD Asset / AR Asset with time-varying support.
- Write USD Composition / AR Asset with time-varying support.
- Write USD Overrides with time-varying support.
- Ability to automatically sync written overrides in a compound.
- Full writing/reading support for USD point instancing as well as instancing
- ability to read any type of Houdini / Solaris instancing: USD point instancing, packed instancing, duplicates
- ability to write/read any type of Maya instancing: USD point instancing from MASH, instancer and particle instancer and instancing, duplicates, point instancing.
- Full USD instancing support and regular instancing support in the procedurals.
- Read USD Asset / Composition / Override / AR Asset
- Added support for reading of file-per-frame sequences via USD Clips. This includes ability to generate USD clips from sequences of USD or Alembic data.
mvUsdCompoundShapenode (“Multiverse Compound”) able to read USD and Alembic.
Note - Alembic is now read through the USD API.
- Proxy Viewport mode leveraging on USD Proxies.
- Flat Shaded Viewport mode.
- Storm Hydra Render Delegate optimized for high speed thumbling and playback (high performance OpenGL GPU rasterizer with draw consolidation).
- 3Delight NSI Hydra Render Delegate optimized for very large assets that won't fit GPU memory (high performance path tracing engine).
- Added a new node called
mvSet(or “Multiverse Set”) for global attribute assignments, render-specific attribute assignment, USD proxies, USD collections.
- Intuitive and high performance GUI dubbed “MEOW” - short for Multiverse
Explore & Override Window. It is built with a new architecture able to display
very complex tree graphs of items (with potentially hundred of thousands of
items) and override selectively and with inheritance:
- Transformations - New system to override transformations via locator transform nodes at the exact location and with support fro foster parent node. Additionally override transformations can be animated at please and written as USD overrides.
- Materials - ability to override materials via shading group engine nodes and also write them as USD overrides.
- Attributes - ability to override attributes via
objectSetnodes and also write them as USD overrides.
- Variants - ability to select USD variants and also write such selection as USD overrides.
- Full support of Rendering Vs Viewport visibility: items can be invisible in the viewport but visible at render-time.
- Ability to send a Multiverse compound to the external
usdviewapplication for inspection.
- NSI procedural will translate any attribute present in USD or Alembic.
- Entirely rewritten all documentation.
- Multiverse Info button that displays version information.
- Completely new 3Delight NSI rendering procedural for native USD data (including Alembic). Supports, curves, points, mesh, data (and thanks to NSI any of these can be a light too).
- Completely new Arnold rendering procedural for native USD data (including Alembic). curves, points, mesh, and mesh_light data.
- Added acceleration motion blur support for 3Delight NSI on mesh, point and curve data.
- Unified rendering workflow that allows for easily switch between rendering engines while keeping the same artist workflow.
- Added support for Maya 2020.
- Added support for Arnold 188.8.131.52+.
- Added inter-op support with Houdini 18 and Solaris.
- The macOS build now uses the Metal API instead of OpenGL for viewport rendering. This is currently a beta implementation.
- Added Maya 2020 support.
- Completely rewritten documentation, example, guidelines.
- Introducing the new Free Version which is fully functional and allows for commercial use. The only restriction being that it requires an alive internet connection.
- cloud-based licensing system to validate the free version.
- added support for material namespace in the
- rendering procedurals automatically translate any USD primitive variables in USD files.
- Ability to rewrite an asset while being loaded in the same session of the application.
- Ability to display the shading network for the selected material in MEOW via RMB. Double-click will instead show the material in the Attribute Editor.
- Ability to add Compounds while in NSI IPR (Arnold was already able to).
- Added RMB command in Compound to open a USD asset in a file browser (on any platform).
- Largely improved writing of USDZ AR Assets with support for opacity, compositions, subdivisions and animated transformations.
- Added option to strip namespaces when writing.
- Largely improved the look and content when popping an item info window via MMB in MEOW.
- Writing assets can now be done at the current selection in the hierarchy and optionally include ancestors.
- Added a completely new set of icons for the shelf.
- Shelf viewport modes will apply to all compounds if no compound is selected.
- Added new 3Delight and Arnold shaders to the MEOW via RMB. Also added Maya 2020 standardSurface for the Maya 2020 plugin.
- Ability to create & assign new materials, or assign existing for overrides, directly from MEOW via RMB.
- Removed the old MLO (Multiverse Look Outliner). Its functionalities are superseded by the new MEOW (Multiverse Explore & Override Window).
- Removed support for Maya 2016 and 2017. The minimum Maya version is now 2018.
- Retired the Hyperspace API which was used up until Multiverse v5. Note that Alembic is now read directly through the USD API.
mvCompoundShapenode has been removed. The new
mvUsdCompoundShapenode has taken its place.
mvShadingSetnode as been removed.
- Retired the “Indie Version” which is now superseded by the “Free Version”.
- The USD libraries use a Multiverse namespace.
- Largely optimized the size and content of the build on all platforms.